Good morning all, Mary Ellen here.
What a gorgeous morning! Had a great long walk with the dog early while the dew was still sparkling in the sun. Needed a sweatshirt but once we got moving, the temperature was perfect. This weather can stay year round, if anyone is taking a survey.
From my spot at the seminar table during our quilt show, I got a perfect view of all of our demos. We have some talented people in our guild! I watched Kelly and Jackie talk about paper piecing–two different methods, both interesting. I love to paper piece, but haven’t done much of it lately. This morning on the computer I came across this pattern for a Starburst block. Her samples in those gorgeous modern brights have motivated me to give this one a go. I mentioned doing a quilt-a-long in one of my posts at the previous home of our blog. So let’s make this our first block. (Here’s a link to a different site with the same pattern. If you couldn’t get it to print at the first one, try this one instead.)
I’m going to call this the “Loosey Goosey” Quilt-a-Long. All of the blocks for this Loosey Goosey will be stars of some sort. Very simple rules (can’t even really call them “rules” exactly, more like guidelines).
1) I will post the directions for 6 different stars. They will be done with a variety of methods-not all will be paper pieced like this first one. If you want to make any of the blocks using a different method than I describe, go right ahead.
2) You pick a batch of fabrics-your choice for colors. I’m going for scrappy, you decide what you’d like to do. Florals, civil war repros, holiday, blue/white, whatever…
3) Make the block I post. At least one of them, but as many as you like.
4) If you want to change the size of any of the blocks, again go right ahead. I plan to post 12 inch or 6 inch finished blocks so they can work together in the project at the end.
5) When I announce that the last block is posted, you make your blocks into something. I’ll offer a few ideas, which you can choose to ignore.
6) At an agreed upon guild meeting we all bring our “quilts” (could be runners, wall hangings, pillows, your name it) to “show and share” to display what we’ve done.
Are you in?
Here we go! Loosey Goosey Quilt-a-Long
•block one: Lone Starburst (pattern linked here or up above) (12 inch finished)
If you will be quilting along with us, please send me a comment with your thoughts on how much time should be between each posted block directions. Once a month? Every two weeks? Once a week? Everyday (choke!)?
Click on “like” below if you like the Quilt-a-Long idea.